Odds and Ends from my brain and interests. Given that it is meant to be much like my old cartoon strip at the Lowell Connector, I suppose it is eponymous (I also like that it does make an oxymoron of sorts)

If there is to be anything here of any regularity it should be about sci-fi, computers, technology, and scale modeling with origami thrown in on the side (at least not infrequently). Oh, I would also expect some cartooning too

Monday, January 17, 2011

Arisia 2011 Modeling Workshop - Thanks

    Well, it's over and I would like to thank everybody who came to the workshop on paper spaceships. It's the very first time I have done anything like that and it was really great to get the opportunity to talk about modeling and paper modeling in particular.
     I hope that anybody that didn't have too much success at the workshop doesn't come away from it feeling bad. On the way to finishing the first model I was happy with, many crashed into the waste paper basket (but not as catastrophically as the N-1).  I can only hope it at least sparked your interest and you will follow some of my suggestions for more information on the handout or in the expanded version on my previous blog entry.
     I definitely would like to do this again next year  and it would be great if one of you would help me run it. I think I have learned a lot from this experience to better shape version 2 if I get the opportunity to do it again. In the meantime, I'll put some informative links right here.
     Oh, also before I forget, I would love it if the gentleman who brought the book on the paper satellites comment with the actual title and author since I stupidly forgot to make a note of it. I remember that book from when I was in 7th grade and recall it was a really great beginner's book.

Some Workshop Links:

Hope this helps, and hope you have fun. See you next year!

2 comments:

Zubie said...

P.S. One of the problems with the shuttle model I think was one of scale due to my desire to fit it to one page. I'm going to try to resize it to a bigger, easier to handle scale at the cost of more than one page. Keep an eye out for it.

Oh, and also pps. One of the people at the workshop suggested that the trick to making a recessed hatch is to use a stack of pennies to stop the hatch a measured distance from the end. I haven't tried it yet, but his test at the workshop worked pretty well.

Zubie said...

The info on the satellite book was
Model Satellites and Spacecraft, by Frank Ross, Jr.(1969). Lothrop, Lee & Shepard Books, NY.